How Easily Can I Make a Living in Insurance Sales?
What exactly does it mean to become an independent insurance agent?
It is not easy to make a living in insurance, but it is not as hard as you might think. As with any type of sales, becoming an insurance agent can be one of the best paying hard jobs or a terrible paying easy job.
Dedicated agents will become successful at insurance sales, just like at any other job. One benefit, however, that insurance agents have over other career choices is that they are perhaps more likely than some to see their efforts come to bear fruit, as compensation is directly correlated to performance.
If you are wondering what type of agent you should be, keep in mind that while the principles and basics of insurance carry over between lines, the actual day to day routine of agents in the different fields (and even with different companies) can be very different.
One of the best ways to get a better feel for what you'll be getting into is to ask an agent in your field and, if possible, in the same company. Often recruiting managers can be of assistance, but it can also be helpful to talk to other agents about how easy it was for them to make a living as agents when they were first getting started in the industry, and how that changed over time.
How hard is it to earn a living if I decide to become an insurance agent?
Individuals considering becoming licensed to provide insurance should look into one of our many insurance licensing courses.
Get Continuing Education:
Related Insurance Agent Pages
- Health Prelicensing Materials for the Health Insurance License Exam
- Major Medical Insurance Health Licensing FAQ
- Indemnification/Risk/Policyowner CPMI Insurance Definitions
- Life Insurance Agents Finding a Career in Insurance
- Life Insurance Policies and Insurance Licensing Definitions
- If I am a health insurance agent, should I sell life insurance too?
- What type of insurance agent should I be?
- Selling Life and Health vs Property and Casualty Insurance
- What Type of Insurance Is Best For Starting Out?
- Which pays better, Property and Casualty or Life and Health?
- Insurance Career Training, Help, and Education
- What is the Difference in Income Between Different Types of Insurance?
- What insurance company should I work for?
- What is an Independent Agent? Insurance Career FAQ
- How to Become an Insurance Agent
- CPMI Pro Courses FAQs
What Your Colleagues Are Saying
“Thanks to your program and lots of studying I passed my Life & Health exams. Tell everyone to follow the instructions & study like your company advises. It sure seems to work.”
“Your Exam Advantage questions are really good preparation…You really helped me know what I was going to be up against.”
“Using your company has been a wonderful experience. Working with Exam Advantage has been one of the least stressful parts of my entire job! Thank you!”
“I want to thank you for your tips. I did exactly as you advised with the reading of the manual, online study & breaks, and no worrying I passed the test! Thank you!”
Your program really helped me focus on the material that had been difficult for me. I passed this time! Thank you!