Health Insurance Agents Selling Life Insurance Too
If I want to be a health insurance agent, should I sell life insurance too?
As with most questions of "should I do this" or "should I do that", there is no definite yes or no answer to this question. You can sell Health insurance by itself, or along with Life insurance, just like you can sell Life insurance by itself. However, there are no real cons to selling both and at least a few bonuses.
Often agents will have both licenses because opportunities come up and you don't want to leave an opportunity staring you in the face. Even if you end up referring the Health business to another agent, you can still split commissions or get a referral fee if you also have a Health license.
Practically speaking, many insurance agents do decide to sell both Life and Health insurance policies (for which you need to pass two separate tests with the state, see our Life and Health insurance license section) because it is often more lucrative without being a whole lot more work. At the very least, it can be helpful to be licensed, in case the need arises. Generally speaking, the costs of licensing and of maintaining an active license are not so high as to make the prospect prohibitively expensive.
Agents who do decide to acquire their Life and Health licenses at the same time are often able to save some amount of money upfront by combining their insurance training programs.
If I am a health insurance agent, should I consider selling life insurance as well?
Individuals considering becoming licensed to provide insurance should look into one of our many insurance licensing courses.
Get Continuing Education:
Related Insurance Agent Pages
- Health Prelicensing Materials for the Health Insurance License Exam
- Major Medical Insurance Health Licensing FAQ
- Indemnification/Risk/Policyowner CPMI Insurance Definitions
- Life Insurance Agents Finding a Career in Insurance
- Life Insurance Policies and Insurance Licensing Definitions
- How Hard is it to Earn a Living as an Insurance Agent?
- What type of insurance agent should I be?
- Selling Life and Health vs Property and Casualty Insurance
- What Type of Insurance Is Best For Starting Out?
- Which pays better, Property and Casualty or Life and Health?
- Insurance Career Training, Help, and Education
- What is the Difference in Income Between Different Types of Insurance?
- What insurance company should I work for?
- What is an Independent Agent? Insurance Career FAQ
- How to Become an Insurance Agent
- CPMI Pro Courses FAQs
What Your Colleagues Are Saying
“Thanks to your program and lots of studying I passed my Life & Health exams. Tell everyone to follow the instructions & study like your company advises. It sure seems to work.”
“Your Exam Advantage questions are really good preparation…You really helped me know what I was going to be up against.”
“Using your company has been a wonderful experience. Working with Exam Advantage has been one of the least stressful parts of my entire job! Thank you!”
“I want to thank you for your tips. I did exactly as you advised with the reading of the manual, online study & breaks, and no worrying I passed the test! Thank you!”
Your program really helped me focus on the material that had been difficult for me. I passed this time! Thank you!