Definition of Insurance
What is Insurance? - Insurance is a contractual coverage binding the insurer to indemnify the insured against a specified loss in return for money (known as premiums). It is designed to protect the financial well-being of an individual, company, or other entity against unexpected loss. In exchange for the premium payments from the insured, the insurer agrees to pay the policyholder in case of the occurrence of a specific event (a loss). In most instances, the insured pays for part of the loss (the policy deductible), and the insurer pays the rest.
It is designed to protect the financial well-being of an individual, company, or other entity against unexpected loss.
Insurance is based on the Law of Large Numbers. The bigger the observed sample, the more accurate the predicted results. Life insurance allows an individual to transfer his or her financial risk of premature death in a defined amount to an insurance company. It is the scientifically calculated pooling growth and distribution of money to satisfy two objectives:
- Paying benefits to survivors of someone who dies while covered
- Providing distribution of benefits by lump sum or with guaranteed lifetime payments
Insurance Definition Summary
Insurance is a kind of risk management in the form of indemnification provided in order to help mitigate potential losses from specific but unforeseen events.
Insurance Licensing Links
Property & Casualty Links
Life & Health Links
Individuals considering becoming licensed to provide insurance should look into one of our many insurance licensing courses.
Get Continuing Education:
Related Insurance Agent Pages
- Health Prelicensing Materials for the Health Insurance License Exam
- Major Medical Insurance Health Licensing FAQ
- Indemnification/Risk/Policyowner CPMI Insurance Definitions
- Life Insurance Agents Finding a Career in Insurance
- Life Insurance Policies and Insurance Licensing Definitions
- If I am a health insurance agent, should I sell life insurance too?
- How Hard is it to Earn a Living as an Insurance Agent?
- What type of insurance agent should I be?
- Selling Life and Health vs Property and Casualty Insurance
- What Type of Insurance Is Best For Starting Out?
- Insurance Career Training, Help, and Education
- What is the Difference in Income Between Different Types of Insurance?
- What insurance company should I work for?
- What is an Independent Agent? Insurance Career FAQ
- How to Become an Insurance Agent
- CPMI Pro Courses FAQs
What Your Colleagues Are Saying
“Thanks to your program and lots of studying I passed my Life & Health exams. Tell everyone to follow the instructions & study like your company advises. It sure seems to work.”
“Your Exam Advantage questions are really good preparation…You really helped me know what I was going to be up against.”
“Using your company has been a wonderful experience. Working with Exam Advantage has been one of the least stressful parts of my entire job! Thank you!”
“I want to thank you for your tips. I did exactly as you advised with the reading of the manual, online study & breaks, and no worrying I passed the test! Thank you!”
Your program really helped me focus on the material that had been difficult for me. I passed this time! Thank you!